Wednesday, February 20, 2008

On the nature of failure

As a geek, in my life I've been asked to look at many problems with computers.

I can tell tales of dust clogging vents, chips that have changed colour with heat damage and components that have simply died. Of singing powersupplies and relectant booters.

Computers that would boot one time in four religiously, and others that would boot if you pressed the power button with your foot.

And of all of these, the most annoying - the hardest to fix - is the "I can't see any problem".

They unplug it, bring it to the alter of testing, where I insert the leads of purity and boot it with the power cables of truth. And it works, with a little prayer and glare.

Not so the computer sitting in front of me. And it's the one I've been using for WoW these last few weeks - when I have the time - so to me it's pretty damn important.

Especialy because it's not mine, so if I break it, I replace it. Which I don't want to do.

And it refuses to boot - so I begin the normal tests, and find nothing, nothing and....nothing.

Angry and annoyed, I have a cup of tea, and ask myself the usual question - "What did I change..."

Just the mouse.

Check the mouse plug - it's fine.

Brush the keyboard plug...and it slides away. Push in firmly, and she works!

The moral of the story? Always, ALWAYS check the damn thing is plugged in first. It looks right isn't enough!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

main problem with an intellect like yours.
never check the easiest things to fix.

Anonymous said...

hahaha I like the previous comment. Is that the laptop with the metal plates on it?

Anonymous said...

thanks i try for good comments

Anonymous said...

I asked him to reinstall my spare PC and still haven't had it back - think its that one he's talking about.

Anonymous said...

hes too "busy"

Anonymous said...

busy????
isabelle what do you know that i don't

Anonymous said...

I know nothing, no no I guess he's looking for a job and helping his parents out at home. also DnD and WoW, games, St-Johns and his brothers.. he hasnt even seen or responded in here yet.
I hardly even talk to him on msn.

Anonymous said...

Let's all give cheering words to Martin for a new post!!
Go Martin, you can do it!!

or you could always let me guest post :)

Anonymous said...

Come on Martin, you can do it.

Create a new POST !!!!!

Anonymous said...

you can do it martin we all believe you can create a new post

Anonymous said...

Get off World of Warcraft and do something Constructive.

Anonymous said...

it might be painful but just do it.

Anonymous said...

In the words of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

"Just get on with it"