Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Change isn't always good

I'm sitting here, first thing in the morning, listening to the radio.

All I can hear is some women from the committee (I can't remember which body, it's too early!) going on about how cheques are dying and how we should set a date to abolish their use.

That less then one in a thousand transactions are cheque based.

All I can say is "you muppets!". All their arguments are being based around the fact that big businesses don't like them because they are a relatively expensive way (for them) to be paid.

About the only defense that seems to be made is that the elderly use them most.

But then, I use cheques on a regular basis. If I need to give someone like a friend or family money I almost certainly use a cheque. Small associations I belong to - they get cheques. When (ok, *if* I give to a charity) it's via small change - or a cheque.

I paid for a weekend break in January with a cheque.

People use them because for a certain class of transaction you can't replace them.

Just because it's 300+ years old does not mean we need to replace them.

Besides - think of the language.

Cheque please!

No comments: