Saturday, August 16, 2014

Free stuff from Microsoft

Hi all.  It's been a while, but I'm feeling in a strange and writing feels right.  Since I got some free stuff from Microsoft this week, I thought I'd talk about that.  Because it needs commenting on...

What was it?  Well, it was one of these, courtesy of Microsoft.  The short description is that it's a new development board called a "Galileo", for electronics and computing.  Combines both direct electrical access to components with about as much computing power as a PC from 1998.  Arduino compatible, as much computing power as a raspberry pi and a

So, full disclosure, they gave me free stuff.   Doesn't mean I'm going to be nice.

First, it's not flat.

Wait, this is a problem?  Yes, yes it is.  If I'm working on an electronics project I'm going to manhandle my microelectronics.  I'm going to - get this - plug things in.  Apply pressure.  Poke, prod, fiddle around.  And my faithful arduino sits on my desk without complaint - and it has the right to complain.  But this Galileo has interfaces all over it.  It sits ~1cm above the desk, supported on 2 small bits of plastic used for some cables or other.  Touch any bit of the board and it lifts off the desk.  How can you work on a board that won't just sit flat??

Second, power.

It uses 30 times more power then the arduino it's compatible with.  That's 10+ times the power of a raspberry pi - without any move processing capability.  So if you ever build anything running on batteries...Galileo is not your friend.

Third, wifi.

My projects always seem to have 2 problem.  Either I'm on battery (yes, I have a battery problem.  I know.  But doesn't everyone have 50 AA's laying around, just in case.  Right?) or I want it on the network.  Wifi built into whatever board I'm using would be amazing.  Not having to faff with adding wifi, just connecting with a couple of simple lines of code.  Galileo doesn't have it.  It has a PCI Express slot.  It's got a *serial* port.  But WiFi?   Nah, who uses that?

Anyway, that's enough of me moaning.  When...if I come up with something to do with it, I'll let you know...

No comments: