Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Drug madness

Yesterday I enjoyed "The Headache from Hell" - which was lovely on my last day off before work.

The whole works - even glare from the laptop was painful. And I was out of drugs.

So down to the mall I go, avoiding those deadly rays.

Now, my pain killer of choice is paracetamol - or acetaminophen as its known here.

Now, in the UK you're limited to buying 16 tablets at a throw - or 32 in a pharmacy. This is because of the drugs repeated use in suicide attempts - and they also long ago mandated that it had to be sold in blister packs rather then in handy bottle. This is supposed to make it slightly harder and take longer - more time to regret your decision....

Anyway, I strolled into the drug store and picked up a small pack. Of 100.

Yep, thats right - enough to overdose a small family.

And I didn't even pick up the biggest pack - I've seen packs in the HUNDREDS - there were packs of 120, 200...

But the maximum daily dose for an adult is 4000mg - or 8 tablets. So I've got 12 days worth of extreme PAIN, with a few left over. Where as in the UK you can buy...2 days worth.

So you feel like your dying. You feel as if your brains are slowly dribbling out though your nose, your eyes are slowly expanding into the iron splinters of the air...and you have to walk to the shops for a little relief.

Just...don't leave a mess on the pavement.

5 comments:

Isabelle said...

arrgg... It's not because its more available that people use it more, we canadian just make it less of a hassle to go to the pharmacy every time you are sick.
Marijuana is legal and more available in the Netherlands, but stats are they higher than here in respectd to users?
Now if you want a drug to complain about ... look up free meth clinics in canada.

And since you always back up your information you post by articles or proofs ide like to see stats on acetominophen overdose in Canada

:) hope you are feeling better though.

Born Today said...

*Shrug*

If you really want me to.

http://www.news-medical.net/?id=27265

And no, I don't have stats on everything. Just in case someone asks for them.

Anonymous said...

yes you do :P you specificly ask me a while back about people who don't back up what they are saying, that meant you did.

Anonymous said...

In answer to another section "it grows" - I now have photos of the hair - in colour. but how do I get in on for people to see.

can't send it to Martin it may never appear!

Anonymous said...

Give me a copy and will post it on my website :D

rd