Monday, March 10, 2008

Watching with mother - part 2

My previous post was not intended to indicate that women aren't allowed to watch horror films.

The intended point was the odd situation, watching zombie flicks with a women who enjoys period dramas and romances.

But back to the film.

I fully expected mother to give the film a negative review - but no, she rated it as "I've seen worse".

So it leaves me to describe resident evil apocalypse.

I've seen bad films. I've sat and watched "While you were sleeping". "Last of the Mohica's" - an exercise to test a jedi master's- sorry, a zen master's patience.

This was worse.

In terms of an action film, it has certain points in its favour. It has blood, guts and completely ridiculous fight scenes. But that's about all I can say that's positive.

Now, the negatives...

Lets start with the plot - or lack there of. The entire film fails to develop beyond "Oh no, ZOMBIES!". There's an attempt to add something plot like - go save the mad scientists daughter. This shouldn't be mistaken as plot, but as an excuse to expose the few survivors to additional ways to die.

Then there is the characters. Now, I can freely accept that women are just as competent at violence as men. For every two wives killed by their husbands, one husband is killed by a wife.

What I can't accept is a PAIR of "kick ass strong women" - both of whom manage to carve a bloody swath through an undead horde while male characters die like flies. Lets be more specific, male trained soldiers with twice the body weight - and therefore muscle - armed with assault rifles and grenades - die, while a pair of women in mini-skirts live.

I know, it's a zombie film. The dead are rising. And I'm complaining about about silly fighting scenes?

Well, yes. To me, a zombie film isn't about some superhuman characters killing zombies. The point of a zombie film is the annihilation of anything still breathing by the shuffling mob...

*Ends the rant by digging out a film...something with living dead...*

No comments: