Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Types of friends

Please note, this was written on the 7th - and stored till I had net access again. (Online or flatline).

While chatting today with a girl - aka Bella, below - we eventualy showed each other our respective blogs, facebooks and the like. This led to that old blog entry on hugs in public.

She objected to the limited rules I proposed - saying that one of her friends hugged her. A little more questioning revealed that he was infact her best friend's boyfriend.

My description of "So he's safe, owned and harmless" was denied, briefly. Till she admited that this might be true. We then sidetracked onto types of friends - but we couldn't make a very long list.

-People from work
-People you've dated
-Friends (of other friends)

Anyone have any suggestions?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I want to insult anyone but I think it's rude to put anyone in a category or group. Why not just have them as individuals and you are as close to each of them as you feel you are. There is not need for boxes around any people in your life.

D-Q

Born Today said...

I'm not sure I agree DQ.

We all identify ourselves with groups. Female, scottish, white...from things you can put your finger on to hyperthetical labels we make ourselves. "High-minded lefty idealist" or "good person", for example.

We identify groups we are members of - why not group others. You seem to accept that grouping people we know as "friends" is acceptable - so why is narrowing the focus to say, "mad techie friends you'd trust with your life...but not your modem" is wrong?

DQ, if you're the lovely person I think you are, then you rate quite a few boxes. Most of them highly flattering - musical, pretty, fun, "Bring to party" and the like.

How is putting you in these boxes wrong?

The only problem I see is if I mistake the box for the person.

Anonymous said...

I think that putting friends in "boxes" is completly acceptable. There are different types, example.. coworkers, family, best friends, friends of friends, friend youve know a week.. so you definatly have to maek a difference between your friends.

Anonymous said...

Friends that you share an interrest in (eg SJA)

Family friends - that you have known since childhood but are really friends of your parents.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget thses 3 Very imortant groups...

Friends you want to get to know better.
Friends you don't want to know any better.
Friends you'd rather you Didn't know.

A

Anonymous said...

Almost forgot...

Friends you've made on WOW

Anonymous said...

I dont think that friends you'de rather didn't know are friends lol.. unless that was a sarcastic.
I think there are also friends with benefits

Born Today said...

Friends with benifits?

Anonymous said...

ya friends with benefits... i'm sure thats not just a north american thing :P like sexual benefits

Born Today said...

Ahhhhhh.

There's another term I've heard for what I think your implying.

But I'm not repeating it. Because I'm fairly sure mother reads this ;)

But it could be abriviated to FF,

Anonymous said...

I am sorry Mrs. Denton!

Anonymous said...

Or it can be referred to as FB :)