Monday, April 27, 2009

Shopping

I'm not much of a shopper, but at the weekend I went looking for two items for an upcoming LARP event.

A black, polo-neck shirt (one of those things you can roll up to hide half your neck) and some form of black cosmetic (probably lipstick) to go with the rest of the black makeup I'll be wearing.

Because there's nothing worse then getting all dressed up...just for your first cup of tea to dissolve the makeup covering your lips.

It just looks wrong.

So there I was, looking for the shirt.

In the entire town center shopping district, serving a population of about 100,000 people I found...not one.

Not even anything close. There are two possible reasons that I couldn't find one. I suspect it's a combination of things, to be honest, but...

The first is floor space. Broadly speaking there are three types of clothing shops. Those that exist solely for women - casual, smart, shoes - whatever. There are those that sell suits for men. And there are mixed stores that have a varying ratio of stick.

Most clothes stores fit the first category. The second category was useless to me, as I didn't want a suit - and the type of shirt I want was far, far to casual to buy there.

Which left the third type.

Now, here the amount of space varied depending on the store. The best store found was "Marks and Spencer". Here they had most of upstairs as a mens section - although I'm unsure of the logic of putting lingerie right next door to the men's shoes. But that's a side issue.

More to the point, they had a decent selection of clothes, helpful staff and even though they couldn't help me - they tried.

The far side of the spectrum was another department store. Here what few clothes they had for men were sandwiched between luggage and the garden section - just enough space to swing a cat.

They had more space put aside for handbags then they did for half the human race. They had twice as much space dedicated to women's underwear. They had three times the space dedicated to cosmetics.

The staff didn't even care enough to look interested in a potential customer - I've seen more life in a LARP corpse.

In the end, I failed completely to find what I was looking for.

Either due to the complete lack of floorspace dedicated - or the for the second reason.

Polo-neck shirts are a strictly winter item.

And it's sunny.

4 comments:

manannan said...

Lets see...

Men buy women's lingue for birthdays, christmases, valentines day, anniversaries, or just for the sheer fun of buying their loved one something sexy to see them in. Placing the men's clothes beside the lingue M&S has possibly increased the sales of men's clothes.

Imagine this:

Pete is looking for some sexy lingue for his wife, all of the sudden he spots his mum over by the nighties. He can quickly dash over and grab a t-shirt from the men's section without his mum realising what he was buying as long as she hasn't seen him...

Anonymous said...

Canon PowerShot A470

Anchalf said...

Thought of deleting your Argent Dawn Characters?

Your not playing any of them now and you can ship all their gold to me!!!!

manannan said...

Give me some of the gold too :)