Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I hate being ill

But then, don't we all?

One of the few upsides its that it gives you a chance to get back on track of minor tasks you've allowed to languish. One of these was converting some audio files I have. One of these happens to reference a hymn - "Abide with me".

Which reminded me of a question people ask me sometimes "How can you sing so may hymns [in the choir] if you're not a Christian?"

Well, the answer is simple - in terms of music, the devil really doesn't have all the best tunes.

Abide with me. Amazing grace. Those two everyone should know. Sung the right way they can bring tears to the eyes.

True, so can a lot of secular music - but the Christians have a long musical tradition. Bach, Mozart - pick a great classical composer and the odds are you can link them to a Church.

While performers regularly abuse great music - everyone now and again you hear it done right. Not often, but when you do it can sound beautiful.

(Side issue - Amazing Grace being a favourite for abuse. I can't remember the last time I heard a soloist who didn't rip it to shreds. Sometimes simplicity really is more!)

But the question I ask in return is how can people prefer something like this..



To this...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking at getting a new pc, one that will see me through the next 3 years.

In the IT world it is never the best time to get a new pc, as the life cycle of components is very short. Buy it today and tomorrow it might be old technology.

Also in the past I have built my own pcs, as this has saved a considerable amount of money. For example you could build a £400 pc for about £300 and you would know what components it is built with. Although looking at some prebuilt pc sites, this is nolonger the case. The amount of mark up is negliable.

Taking that into account, I never spend more than £350 on a pc.

There are 2 sites I am currently looking at, both have been recommended to me.
www.overclockers.co.uk (Primo)
www.novatech.co.uk (Isys)

Both build similar pcs, but I am still given a choice, problem is I still don't know what I want. And what gets me is why the price difference.

Specifications I am stuck over:

Primo Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz
4GB Platinum 800MHz
Seagate 250GB
ATI Radeon HD 4670 512MB
£459.95 inc VAT

Isys EX nVidia (PC-1237)
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8Ghz
4GB DDR2 800MHz Ram
320GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive
GeForce 9500GT 1Gb PCI-E
£366.850

Primo Lite
Intel Dual-Core E2180 2.00GHz
2GB DDR2 800MHz
Seagate 250GB
GeForce 8600 GT 512MB
£305.87 inc VAT

Isys Pro (PC-1236)
Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 2.5Ghz
2GB DDR2 800MHz Ram
320GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive
NVIDIA 9500GT 1Gb PCI-E
£297.85 inc vat

What spec would you suggest????

Anonymous said...

I'm at work, I drove through the snow and I log in to see you haven't put any new posts up!!!!

What else am I ment to do at work now?

On another note, my pc only has PCI-E x1 (16) so what graphics card would you recommend?

Anonymous said...

why argue against me then when ive been saying for MONTHS that you should buy a new pc or laptop.

my suggestion would be get a laptop, obvious reasons. Portable and your laptop im sure looks worse specs wise than your desktop.

here were your objections to getting a new computer
1) other things to spend money on , like travel
2) they get old fast, new things come out
3) yours still works
4) too expensive in the UK
5) etc etc etc

BUT again as mentioned .. im all for you getting a new pc, youll stop complaining about it :P

Born Today said...

This would be Mannanan talking about replacing his machine...

Born Today said...

Although I'm amazed that no one commented on the music.

Anonymous said...

well. not access to Youtube at work ?

Anonymous said...

I assume thats the embedded clips - at work we cannot view them


Thankfully