Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Accent

I've got a puzzle for you all today, and comments are definitly invited.

It goes like this, you see...

In Canada, an English accent sticks out a mile - and people do really seem to like it. Which is all fine and dandy.

However, every now and again I tend to be asked "My friend really likes your accent...she wants to know where's it from?"

Hmm. Your "Friend". Who's blushing, probably about 17...oh, and did I mention that they'll both be girls/young women, wearing...well, you know what youth fashion is like.

But why is it always pairs? Is there some secret hidden meaning? Am I missing something here?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guess what - safety in numbers.

Don't forget they probably think you are only about 17 any way !!

Dad says - a birds in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. No idea what he means - makes no sense to me!

Born Today said...

Hmmm....

Anonymous said...

Protection against nasty boys - thats what it is!

Loralai

Born Today said...

I'm not a nasty boy!

I wouldn't do anything tot hem they don't want me to...

Anonymous said...

but you can catch the _lurgy_ from boys - all girls know this!

Loralai

Born Today said...

Then why do their "friends" go out of their way to cause embarrassment?

Anonymous said...

Just a comment - when John and I were in Canada locals thought we were from the local 'Peterborough' and seemed surprised when we said "no- Peterborough UK"

Could it just be your 'accent' which is more 'english' than most?

Born Today said...

The whole BBC thing?

Anonymous said...

Maybe because they are simply shy.. seeing on how they are quite young maybe they needed each others support.. just like going to the bathrooms in pairs. Share the fun of the embarassement