Saturday, March 10, 2007

Laughable

While listening to the UK news in the last day or three, I've heard a lot about this case, here.

Its the tale of a drunk, violent women who smashes up a car, is thrown out a nightclub and then resists arrest.

Go watch the video - its on the BBC website.

What I want to know is simple. Why is this news?

From here, it looks like its turned into a huge "Oh my god, the poor women....that evil police officer..." controversy. But looking at the video I can really believe the officers story. She really puts up a struggle, vs a bigger and stronger person.

The footage shows Ms Comer, from Sheffield, writhing around on the ground, which she said was due to an epileptic fit. Police said she was trying to resist arrest.
(BBC news story)
Maybe I'm just a cynic, but from here it looks more likely that she was drunk and violent - like a lot of men - and did her best to resist.

An epileptic fit? Really? Brought on by what, violent flashing lights in the club? Excess alcohol consumption? Just in time to be arrested by the police? Right...

So she kicks up a media fuss, about the poor black, female epileptic subject to police brutality. Because of this, its all over the media (poor women!), the officer has been taken off active duty and is subject to an "independent" investigation.

For doing his job and restraining a drunk.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can see exactly where you are coming from. I have grown up to hold respect for the police and so I guess I see their actions in this case as being appropriate, especially given the information that has come out following the incident.

I have also found this book, Wasting Police Time by PC David Copperfield to be a great read and a compelling exploration into the world of the police.

BTW: How did you get on with the final Priestess in White book? No spoilers please, but is it better then the 2nd book which I felt was a bit too cartoon-like (for want of a better description) with regards to the story-line which perverted the more reasonable direction given in the 1st book.

Regards,
Luke