Thursday, March 15, 2007

What people wear

While working over the last few days, I've spent a not inconsiderable amount of time people watching. Which can be an amusing past time.

And during this time, I've reaffirmed a basic conclusion I came to long ago, which I think I should share with you.

It's been said that men don't understand women. Ok, fair enough.

But its also true that women don't always understand men, or that they lump 5% into a group and forget the rest of us exist.

What leads me to this conclusion?

Well, it goes like this. Women (girls, ladies, teenagers, matrons...what ever label you want to use) usually either dress up to attract male attention - or not. While there is a middle ground, its not that big. For example, womens jeans are either comfortable or tight and sprayed on - or sometimes tight, sprayed on and start somewhere below their hips.

Now, women dressing to attract men do tend, from what I've seen, to believe less is more. That, since if you walked down the street naked you'd get the maximum possible attention, the less you wear the more attractive (or attention grabbing) you are.

Combine this with the belief that underwear is attractive, and the more it shows the better...and what you get is modern fashion.

Its almost always tight, leaves acres of skin exposed, isn't tasteful, or stylish (even what little I know about style screams NoOooooo!!) or even very attractive.

You've all seen it. The twenty-odd year old girl in a short t-shirt, really tight shorts and a g-string. You know its a g-string because everyone in 30ft can see most of it. And it'll probably be a contrasting colour to her shorts.

Just in case you missed it.

When a women wearing more - say a skirt to her knees, a blouse and a smile will get more - and better - attention most days of the week. And it doesn't scream "Oh look at me, I want you to LOOK AT ME." "Look at me" will get you attention - but probably the wrong attention.

The slut look may be good for the bedroom, but out in the street, day to day?

And see here for a comic that shows this so much better, with far fewer words.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very true but then....nah I wont say it theres no way to make it sound clean even if I tried :D

You never told me you were a Megatokyo Fan!! How long have you been keeping that little secret..cant wait for book 5 :P

Dave

Born Today said...

Dave, I loooong ago gave up admiting things.

It just gets me into trouble...

Anonymous said...

Now thats a lesson I need to learn

Dave

Born Today said...

Its not to late Dave. Practice with me....say "Hmmm? Me?"

Good, good. Now say it again, with an innocent smile?

Nooo, not a grin - a smile...a smile without malice...or lust you in the corner!

Once you've got that, your set :)