Friday, March 9, 2007

Mystery of the missing pens

Most of you have heard of the Tooth Fairy, the Easter bunny and Santa.

But there are many, many other figures you probably haven't. The Soul Cake Duck, Old Man Trouble, Kaos and The Lady.

There is also one you should fear - the eater of pens.

It exists. It must.

I came to Canada prepared. I had four pens. Two decent ballpoints for usage at home, and two scruff biros I could leave anywhere, even buried in someone's throat, and not really mind loosing.

It started with the ballpoints, one disappearing in the first few days. Then the scruff biros, till I was left with my Parker. Then this to disappeared. It vanished between one evening and the next. Left, attached to a clipboard and form - but gone in the light of morning.

It has reached the point where I considered - yes, I, he who walked around the East of England showground for an hour and left with a kilo of pens - yes, I considered buying pens.

This I contemplated for an evening. Till I remembered that the bank hand been kind enough to give me some.

I'm even sure they might have meant it.

They handed them to me and everything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You forgot the Underpants Gnomes :P

Dave

Anonymous said...

Also the Veruca Gnome

Anonymous said...

You mean in the UK your oens don't go missing?? It's a reality that every canadian has accepted, we just keep buying more at the dollar store. Now you may say well where do the missing pens end up? Well that is the real mystery.