Friday, July 25, 2008

Being ill...and unwelcome truths

I hate being ill.

No - really, I do.

I agree, it has upsides. You get to sleep in, you don't have to go to work...you don't have to do anything.

But I believe the downsides more then make up for this. For example - last night at Dungeons and Dragons, I had to look up a rule. This isn't something I do very often, because the rules to me are...well, fairly straightfords. I know them all.

But this time....this time I stood there, reading the book. Having found the paragraph in question, I was distracted by someone. Distraction dealt with, I returned to the book - looking at it blankly, as its pages held no meaning for me.

I stood there, pretending to read while I tried to remember - what was I looking for?? A few moments of reconstruction...I was looking at my character sheet...looking at skills....ah, racial skills.

Find the paragraph and read it, quick. Go to close the book and realise that I couldn't remember what it said.

I really did have the attention span of a rather small gerbil.

Thats one downside...the others....well...being ill!

---

Talking of being ill, what do you do when you are? I play computer games because they share two things in common. First, they help the time to pass quickly without requiring you to move much.

And the other is that most games consist of a large number of very small, short bits. Kill one monster (or two) at a time. Loot this, make that. But nothing that requires huge concentration or co-ordination - so perfect for the ill.

But this led to a dilema for me yesterday.

There's someone in the guild, called...well, lets call him Paul. Paul and I talk when we're on, even though we've never met. Back before I left the UK, when I played much more then I do now, we chatted as we played for months.

But yesterday, he said something odd...

Now, the Elder Brother and I are both in the same Warcraft Guild. Our main characters are known to be owned by siblings. For roleplay purposes, we usualy use the pronoun suited to the character not the player...so my priestess is almost always a "she".

Why's this an issue? Well, Paul said something that shows that he thinks I was a girl. A real, honest to god girl playing warcraft.

Now, what do you say to that?

What do you say to someone who's built up an image of you based on one little detail that's never been mentioned. It probably doesn't matter - we've never actualy met, I doubt we ever will.

But do you say something, or....?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you expect a reply to this one from me.... But I'll hold it and share with you later as you can imagine it relates to shoes, purses and makeup.

Anonymous said...

personally i say if it bothers you, let some little thing slip so he can figure out that you are a guy, but try not to make it obvious so as not to embarass him

Anonymous said...

I say - carry on wit hthe pretence and find out just how long before he twigs your a boy!

Anonymous said...

in the guild notes - does it say your name? if so silly him :)

Born Today said...

Um, in my guild notes it says...

"Enchanting Enchantress of Doom".

Which I always thought indicated my profession (enchanter) and my talent build (shadow).

And no, I won't keep the pretense running. He hasn't twigged in three years. I doubt he would now.

Born Today said...

And no, I didn't put that there. I don't know who did, to be honest.

Anonymous said...

if your character and your brother's characters are known to be owned by siblings, why not have your brother say something, drop some hint, while this guy is on and maybe you are not, this could be less uncomfortable for both of you

Anonymous said...

However - and this is important - I am amenable to having my mind changed. If you can prove, with statistics and reasons I consider to be unbiased I'll freely change my mind. It has happened before...although if the source of your numbers is ultimately an organisation named "xxxx against..." or "xxxx yyyyy rights" or the like, you're going to have your work cut out for you.

But I will listen.


I have quoted yours words, to remind you to be open to the information supplied in this post.

My post is about Shadow priests in Arena (continue reading - you said you would!).

The Shadow priest build is commonly known as the priest dps build, they are able to do constant damage to opponents.

The only issue with Shadow Priests is their role in Arena battlegrounds. The problem is they cannot do what’s commonly termed burst damage - that is damage over and above at the cost of everything including life. Don't get me wrong, I am not dissing them, they have their place in PVE (raids and instances) and for solo play they are great.

I just feel that shadow priests don't have it when Arena battleground, yes they are good damage dealers with some crowd control (fear) but there is something missing from the mix.

From experience in normal PVP battlegrounds; I know that if I see a shadow priest they are easy meat, nothing against them but silence will stop them from casting any of their main dps based spells :D sure they could heal themselves but that rarely happens as they don’t normally have any real healing spells on their toolbar. Holy priests are also fairly easy to kill as long as you stop them healing themselves and can do burst dps when they flash red. The only priest build I dread is the discipline priest - the number of times I have nearly killed the discipline priest to either kill myself on their shield or they’ve fully heal themselves is too many, I find them hard to take down solo because they can heal, reflect my damage and do loads of their own damage.

Now the statistics to backup what my discussion...

This will require you to go through the warcraft website, and then to the armoury.
When there look at the current Arena Ladder for 2v2.

Let me break this down into something other than a go look command :)

Team 1: Frost Mage & Discipline Priest
Team 2: Frost Mage & Discipline Priest

Maybe your thinking that its in name order - well these 2 teams have a team rating over 2300, they only consist of 2 members and both members have participated in all the matches!

This isn't an anomaly, this is actually a common team combination, but so far I haven't found a single shadow priest in any team makeup.

Now I'm not trying to state that Shadow Priests are bad, just that in the Arena battlegrounds they just cannot bring it like they do in the PVE environment.
___________________________________

Trying to be constructive here.

Also thankyou for the 10 matches last night, got my Gloves :)