Tuesday, July 8, 2008

How to handle holidays

Here I am, at the bunker, wondering how to handle holidays.

My co-worker, next desk over, is taking off two days this week and all of next week...which leaves me an issue - what do you do with holiday?

I've got something like 28 days worth of the stuff - call it 25 days, of paid holiday.

Now, I'm thinking of spending two weeks later this year somewhere where they get Real Snow if I can afford it. Assuming that works out, that's 2*5 days....so 15 days left.

Yep, 15 days, three weeks for all real purposes. I can take it in days, half days, long weekends...and I don't know how I want to do it.

Take a day a month, say, fridays? Leaves me 9 months this work year (I'm thinking of my work year, no matter what Human Resources say) so thats, um, 6 days left to burn.

Or do I go somewhere? Or reserve some for a evil, nasty binge at Christmas? Or enjoy hiding from the sunshine now, when I can?

Ummm....help?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

might be worth having boxing day till new years day off - always nice :)

Richard.

Anonymous said...

ummm my math says 2 weeks is 14 days and not 10.

Anonymous said...

You could spend longer where the Real Snow is. although there wont be snow at that time of the year.. there will be some maple tree is wonderful fall colors.

Anonymous said...

2 weeks = 14 days or 10 working days :D

Anonymous said...

ok so I vote for more time where the real snow is

Anonymous said...

FYI :
Option 1 - London-Ottawa-London £522.70 GBP
Option 2 A - London-Montreal-London £335.10
Option 2 B - London-Montreal(connecting flight to Ottawa)-London£355.80
Option 3 - London-Toronto-London same as montreal (so montreal is better for me)

Also with my weekends off and on, the best days would be oct 4-19
or oct17th-nov2nd
or oct 31st-nov16th
or nov 14th-30th
(basically 3weekends, 2weeks but 2 of the 3 weekends im off)