Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Rituals of life

When we do things in our daily lives we often tend to do them without thinking.

We build up a form of ritual - the way that things should be done, beyond which we feel uncomfortable. While there might be no significance to them - we can't help ourselves.

An example...take filling the car with petrol.

Pull up and park, remove the cap, pour in the fuel - so far, so normal.

But - when do you stop? When do you say "Yep, that's a full tank"?

I always fill it up till the pump stops...wait a second...then do so again. Until that second click of the pump, a moment after pulling on the lever - it's not done. That extra few cubic inches of gas...

Even then the ritual isn't done. Before I can leave I must - yes, must - work out the MPG of my last tank, reset the trip meter and drive away.

A simple task, transformed to mindless ritual...

And yes Dad, please do fill up the car...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

as promised for loralai: isabelle_bonzai@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

How are you all enjoying the new expansion?
Here is what Martin passed up on last night :

At Future Shop they had a midnight opening for the WoW expansion, although martin wasnt sure it would or wouldn't work on his computer, they had a costume contest. The best costume won a 100$ gift card. I offered to take him and my cousin's fiance, but Martin declined.

huh??? yes thats right declined!
now its 9:44am , way past the beautiful, or not so beautiful costume event. :(

Anonymous said...

ahhh

The last thing he said to me last night was "to go to bed!", so following his instructions - I did.

I didn't go to Tesco or Game to get 2 copies of the expansion.

Went this lunch time - Game had sold out, the city centre branch had a hand full left at 11am (I was told this at 1pm). Tesco only had what was on the shelfs - which was EMPTY!!!!

So a little annoyed (cannot use swear words here - children are reading).

There are apparently no deliveries for Game for a couple of days and tesco don't know what will arrive until they unload it !!!!

And whats the betting that I won't find a copy this weekend!!!!

Anonymous said...

seeing as I wont be doing the upgrade tonight - enjoy this....


http://www.catswhothrowupgrass.com/kill.php